Risotto with asparagus is a recipe with a delicate and harmonious taste.
Asparagus (Asparagus officinalis L., from the Liliaceae family) is a spring vegetable, and the dish is therefore typical of spring. Let’s see ingredients and the preparation of a classic recipe for risotto with asparagus, some tips, nutritional values and calories and further information.
PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME
Here are the approximate preparation and cooking times for the recipe for the risotto with asparagus:
- Time to prepare the ingredients: 10 minutes
- Time to cook the dish: 15 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
INGREDIENTS FOR 4 PERSONS
- 320 g of rice
- 500 g of asparagus
- 70 g butter
- 1 small golden onion or ½ big onion
- ½ glass of dry white wine
- About 1 liter of vegetable broth
- 80 – 120 of Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
PREPARATION OF ASPARAGUS RISOTTO
Now let’s see how to prepare risotto with asparagus. First let’s consider how to wash and cut asparagus, then the other steps to prepare risotto.
Washing and cutting the asparagus
- Wash the asparagus gently. Cut and remove the excessively hard part of the stem of each asparagus.
- Put a pot of water on the stove. When the water boils, cook the asparagus with a little salt for about 5 minutes, so that they remain crisp.
- Drain the asparagus. Cut the tip sand put them in a separate dish. Now cut the stems into rather large slices.
Other steps for preparing asparagus risotto
- Take the onion, and finely chop it.
- Pour about a liter of water into a pot and prepare the vegetable broth.
- Take another pot, and pour a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil into it. Put the pot on the stove and sauté the onion.
- Pour the riceinto the pan and toast it for a couple of minutes.
- Add the white wine and let it evaporate, that is to say, let evaporate all the parts except the dry extract.
- Add the sliced stems, then a couple of ladles of hot broth. Add the broth as the rice absorbs it. Broth should be always enough to cover the rice.
- Just before the rice is ready, add the asparagus tips.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the butter and Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Mix cheese and risotto using one of the methods found below in the paragraph dedicated to tips or further information.
SHOP ONLINE THE BEST ARTISAN ITALIAN INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR DISHES
On Gustorotondo you find the best artisan Italian ingredients for your dishes:
white and brown rice, organic raw honey, extra virgin olive oil, wine vinegar, high-quality artisan pasta.
We look for producers who have high-quality standards, and we offer artisan Italian good products that enhance the tradition and authentic flavours of the Italian cuisine.
Gustorotondo was born as a traditional Italian food store in the center of Milan, and then started the e-commerce business. Now you can shop traditional Italian food online on Gustorotondo. You can buy from all over Italy, from England, from Germany, from the Netherlands, from the Czech Republic, and from all the other European countries.
Shop online the best authentic artisan Italian food at Gustorotondo!
RISOTTO WITH ASPARAGUS: WHICH RICE TO USE?
Which rice is suitable for preparing asparagus risotto?
Some people think that in general the best rice to make risotto is Carnaroli. Others, instead, prefer the Arborio, and others the Vialone Nano, used above all in Veneto.
According to part of the tradition risotto must have firm grains and, at the same time, a good creaminess. If you wish above all an asparagus risotto with firm grains, then Carnaroli rice or Vialone Nano are an excellent solution. If, on the other hand, you prefer a softer, slightly more creamy risotto, then use Arborio rice.
If you wish, you can also use brown rice. The grains will be decidedly harder than those of the classic risotto, and the dish will be tasty and healthy.
SOME TIPS OR FURTHER INFORMATION
- When you brown the onion, be careful that it does not burn and that extra virgin olive oil does not reach the smoke point. Set the flame to medium or medium-high, and brown the onion until it becomes golden.
- The rice grains of asparagus risotto are considered perfect when they are still firm but not very hard.
- At the end of the recipe, you can use a spoon to mix the ingredients, or you can move the pot in order to incorporate oxygen.
- There are different varieties of cultivated asparagus, and some are protected by the PGI or Municipal Denomination (De.Co.). For example, we find Badoere’s Asparagus, the Green Asparagus of Altedo or the Asparagus Rose of Mezzago.
NUTRITIONAL VALUES AND CALORIES
A dish of asparagus risotto cooked according to the recipe described contains about 23 g of protein, 41 g of lipids and 64 g of carbohydrates. In addition, it provides 2.5 g of fiber.
The fatty acids contained are above all saturated (18.3 g), then monounsaturated (17.8 g) and finally polyunsaturated 2.5 g).
A portion of asparagus risotto brings about 720 kcal.