The Spaghetti Carbonara recipe is one of the most famous Italian recipes in the world.
In Italy we say Spaghetti alla Carbonara, which translates Spaghetti in the Carbonara way.
The Carbonara dressing is based on cured pork cheek (in Italian: guanciale) and eggs which wrap around hot pasta. One of the fundamental points for the recipe to succeed is that a soft cream is formed, not excessively liquid or tending to be dry.
The Spaghetti Carbonara recipe is quick to prepare and It is always appreciated.
Here we will consider the origin of carbonara pasta, the classic recipe and some variations.
THE ORIGIN OF CARBONARA PASTA
Carbonara pasta is a rather recent recipe; however, there are several hypotheses about its invention.
According to some, the origin of the Carbonara pasta dates back to the Second World War, when a cook used the rations of eggs and bacon of American soldiers, adding cheese and pepper.
Others believe that Carbonara pasta is the evolution of a dish from Lazio that only included cheese and eggs. It would have become Carbonara pasta when some US soldiers asked to add cured pork cheek that they confused with bacon.
SHOP ONLINE THE BEST SPAGHETTI AND ARTISAN ITALIAN FOODS
On Gustorotondo you find best artisan authentic pasta and Italian foods for your Spaghetti Carbonara recipe.
We look for producers who have high-quality standards, and we offer artisan Italian good products that enhance the tradition and authentic flavours of Italian cuisine.
Gustorotondo was born as a traditional Italian food store in the center of Milan, and then started the e-commerce business. Now you can buy traditional Italian food online on Gustorotondo from all over Italy, from England, from Germany, from Netherlands, from the Czech Republic, and from all the other European countries.
Shop online the best authentic artisan Italian food at Gustorotondo!
SPAGHETTI CARBONARA INGREDIENTS
The Carbonara recipe is a tasty and simple dish to prepare.
There are different versions of the recipe, and it is probably impossible to say which is the original recipe, the first one made.
It is reasonable to assume that cured pork cheek is to be used, and not bacon; the cheese traditionally used is the Pecorino Romano.
Some use whole eggs, others mainly the yolk. Then there are those who add a little cream to increase the creaminess of the sauce.
SPAGHETTI CARBONARA CLASSIC RECIPE
Without claiming to have found the original Spaghetti Carbonara recipe, we can say that the classic recipe includes only 5 ingredients: pork cheek, pecorino, egg, salt, pepper.
Here we offer our own version based on these ingredients.
Preparation time is approximately 30 minutes.
Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe - Ingredients 4 persons
- 400 g durum wheat Spaghetti
- 150 g cured pork cheek
- 3 egg yolks and one whole egg
- 100 g Pecorino Romano
- Pepper in grains to be ground to taste
- Salt to taste
Spaghetti Carbonara Recipe - Method
Preparing Spaghetti Carbonara is simple, and there are several ways to proceed. We offer you the following one:
- Cut the cured pork cheek into small pieces, so that browning they become crispy on the outside and remain soft inside.
- Put a pot of water on the heat and bring water to the boil.
- When water boils, add a little coarse salt and toss the Spaghetti.
- Put the egg yolks, the whole egg, the Pecorino Romano cheese, ground pepper and a little water in a container and mix well. Stir quickly, so that the preparation becomes creamy.
- Keep in mind the cooking time of the Spaghetti and the time needed to brown the cured pork cheek (usually about 7 minutes). When there are about 7 minutes left for the pasta to be cooked al dente, brown the pork cheek until it becomes lightly browned and crunchy. Then, turn off the heat.
- Set aside a couple of ladles of water in which you cooked the pasta, then drain the Spaghetti.
- Place the Spaghetti in the pan and mix well.
- Add the preparation of egg yolks and Pecorino Romano and the cooking water set aside, and mix well again.
Here we are! Serve immediately to prevent the egg from hardening too much.
SPAGHETTI CARBONARA WITH CREAM AND OTHER RECIPE VARIATIONS
As we said, there are numerous variations of the Carbonara recipe.
One of these involves using a little fresh cream to make the recipe creamier. If you wish to use it, combine it with the cheese and the eggs in the bowl (for 4 people use about 3 tablespoons).
If you love Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano, you can use one of these cheeses, or even more than one looking for a well-balanced flavour.
IF YOU ENJOYED THE ARTICLE ABOUT THE SPAGHETTI CARBONARA RECIPE, SHARE IT AND SIGN UP TO THE GUSTOROTONDO NEWSLETTER!
Gustorotondo Newsletter informs you about good Italian food, Italian recipes and cuisine, Italian artisan producers, tasty & healthy food products and exclusive offers.
You may also be interest in: